Tuesday, March 19, 2013

TRIBUTE TUESDAY: Food in Dublin

Sounds about right.
When I would tell people back home that I was going to Dublin, their first response was usually, “You might lose weight there, the food is probably so bland.”

That statement is both true and false- while I have been losing a little bit of weight, the food is anything but bland. After being here for a little over two months, I have had the pleasure of discovering the gems that come out of Dublin's cafe's and restaurants and for the most part, I have been very pleased.

So what is it? Why is the food here so good - if not better - than at home?

I always wondered how Ireland and other European countries could be so much less obese than the US with all the great food and heavy drinking, but it’s the kind of food and the lifestyle that makes a huge difference. Yes, we drink a lot here. What would Ireland be without it? But why has my waistline been shrinking? The only exercise I do is walk to and from work, which is about an hour a day, and maybe a couple of 45-minute runs on the weekends with some strength exercises thrown in between – less effort than what I did at home when I had personal trainer and went to the gym 3-4 times a week.

But along with the walking, I have realized that the freshness and types of food available are much better for you. The fact that they don’t overload the most basic food items with sugar, replace good fats with bad carbs, and fast food is typically a fresh sandwich from a cafe, it’s easy to eat well.

The only way I can describe it is that it is so incredibly fresh, I feel like my taste buds have been re-awakened and reformed. The cuisine isn't much different; there are many different food infusions from all around the world where one can essentially try anything.

Want Malaysian? Sure! Italian? Why not?  Thai? Right down the street! Mexican? Irish people love burritos - no really, outside of a kebab store they have a huge sign saying WE SERVE BURRITOS.

And in all honesty, the traditional meat and potatoes are actually really good, especially when they are seasoned, boiled, braised and dressed delicately to the point of your mouth nearly melting away. But what I have noticed about here is that there aren’t nearly as many huge chain restaurants, the portions are hearty but not overwhelming, and the flavors are much less diluted.

Also with grocery shopping, I've realized that I have to go much more frequently because food spoils faster  here. The reason why is because there are much fewer preservatives, and it’s more fresh than most things you can find in the stores in the US. This had me thinking about food in America, and why obesity is 3x as high there than it is here in Ireland. Understanding how peoples' eating and living habits are in both places makes me understand the issue a bit more.

For a more in-depth explanation on how food shapes our lives, check out this video- being an American abroad, this definitely rings true.




So without further ado, I’m going to share with you some of my favorite places to retreat, savor and indulge. The options of places to eat are endless and I've had far more positive experiences than negatives, but these  are my top 7 favorite places to grab a bite in Dublin:

Hugo's
The food. The wine. Ohmygod EVERYTHING is phenomenal. If you want a mixture of traditional food with fine European cuisine, this is the place. The wine menu is packed with imports from around the world, and each plate is suitable for any palate with maximum flavor imaginable! My favorite dishes are the venison sausage and the gluten-free raspberry brownie!



The Winding Stair
Cafe, bookstore, and restaurant all in one-- when I first learned about The Winding Stair, I couldn't have thought of a more perfect place to gather, enjoy food, and socialize. Located right on the River Liffey, the views of the Ha'Penny bridge from the quaint dining area upstairs makes for a comfortable ambience, while the food is the true highlight. My favorite dish: The fish sample platter



O’Neill’s
This place is the definition of Irish. This place is great for an Irish breakfast, an after-work pint, a hearty meal, traditional Irish music or a night out. It's an old place in the middle of the city with tons of Irish memorabilia around its 3-floor interior and always has something going on. The food in particular is served buffet-style with mostly meat-based meals, so come hungry!



The Porterhouse
This place, like O'Neill's is a great place to kick back, have a beer, and enjoy some pub food. The Porterhouse brews its own beers, and has some delicious food to accompany it. Although it's not too healthy (contrary to my whole previous spiel), it's definitely a treat that's unique to Dublin while at the same time making us Americans feel right at home in a sports bar environment. The after-work platter is to die for, both figuratively and literally. But hey, sometimes we cave



Il Segreto 
This restaurant and cocktail lounge is a little more upscale, but the price is worth every bite and won't leave you hungry afterwards. With arguably one of the best gnocchi dishes I've ever had, I would recommend coming here in a heartbeat! The cocktails are fantastic too, and I can say I was quite pleased with my passionfruit mojito... seriously though, where else can you find one?! However, because it is pricey, I can't say I frequent this place but it is definitely a treat!


The Port House
If you want excellent tapas, an old Spanish port atmosphere, candlelight dining and a full wine list, this place is for you. Everything here is small, from the space to the plates, but don't let that change your opinion on the food-- everything from the pintxos plates to the queso and pescada dishes pack only the most savory flavors. Not recommended if you're clostrophobic/need a lot of light. My favorite: The Berejena con queso de Cabra (eggplant and goats cheese on bread crumbs) and the paella.


Chopped
For healthy food fast, this is one of my favorite grab-and-go places. Think salad bar-meets-Coldstone and this is your place. You can make a salad from any of their main ingredients or have a menu-specific salad, where they take everything to the cutting board and chop it in front of you before giving it to you in your little to-go box. Soups and sandwiches are also available, and the options are always endless. Quick, delicious, and healthy!


And last but not least: Pablo Picante
Close to my office and a hangover-curing miracle worker, this place makes me reconsider ever going back to Florida when I have life-changing burritos nearby. Everything is delicious and it has won numerous awards/hearts throughout Dublin. I love you Pablo...


No comments:

Post a Comment